Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mind the "U"! Locating the Splendours of Iran

When should you accept "no results" for a search? Never!

I was skimming a literature review that cited a three volume work, given in the citation as: The Splendor of Iran. Giddily, I consult my personal oracle, the Library Catalog of SJSU. What? Not owned? I immediately select "Search Link+" to hop into the regional consortia catalog, and still no luck. What, no holdings?

Grouchily, I flip to the web to see if OP copies are available...and quickly detect that in a title search, one must employ the British spelling: splendour.

Giddiness restored, I return again to the catalog and am delighted to find:

The splendour of Iran / originator E. Booth-Clibborn, general editor N. Pourjavady.
London : Booth-Clibborn Editions, 2001. 3 vols located at N7280 .S65x 2001, although I note with pleasure that volume 2 is currently circulating.

Note to self and readers: always doubt "no results"! Try to verify the title, or change search to author.

No comments: